Monday, November 29, 2010

pretty notecards.................to say more


Birthday ~ Friendship ~ Thank You


If I hadn't had my iphone with me today at the POP Up shop, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. In between customers at the POP Up shop I generally re-stock and I happened to open a box of notecards, the type with a variety of photographic images . Then I started opening all the boxed notecards to see all the gorgeous images I may have missed in each set which got me to thinking..................which got me to snapping photos to illustrate their variety. Each of my photos shows a card found in my shop, this one behind a yellow friendship rose crystal paperweight.  I love that iphone, it gave me the whole evening off. 



Birthday ~ Congratulations ~ Thank You ~ Friendship

Hallmark isn't going to love what I am going to say but I am not too crazy about standard greeting cards. They make me lazy. They make me get away with just signing my name and I really like sitting down and writing something more meaningful, more personal. On any occasion, whether it be a birthday, an anniversary, a sympathy card, get well, thank you, or just plain hello, it seems to me to be infinitely more elegant, more civilized to write a lovely message. Blank cards make me think through my message more, think about how to convey my thoughts. Shown with scented lavender wands from Provence.


Housewarming ~ Thank You ~ Friendship

To me the point of any card is a greeting of some sort but I do like to make it more than that. To find some way to make the recipient feel special. Sometime this really is a humorous card via the funny people at Hallmark, but most of the time with friends it is speaking from the heart. When I have a blank card page it seems to work better. Almost like a short letter, something that sticks with that person all day long. Shown with bronze organza bows for gift wrapping.

Housewarming ~ Thank You ~

I like to think it is possible to keep the written word alive. I recently read that many kids under 20 had never received a written letter via postal mail. This struck me as incredibly sad. What I like about blank cards beside their message room and blank format is that they make me feel like I don't have to have a reason to send it. Have a good thought? Something wonderful to tell that person? Pop it in the mail and send it along. Shown with ribbon wreath wreaths.

Get Well ~ Sympathy ~ Thinking of You ~ Friendship

Practise does make perfect but perfect isn't the point. Write sincerely and it will be read as a gift of words. Some lovely quote ( keep a list) or book quote added to your message can go a long way in personalizing your message if words fail you at times. Sometimes the images are so beautiful, I use them to embellish a gift. All you need is a hole punch and narrow ribbon. Using a fabulous image in a larger dimension (instead of a small gift card) can elevate simple wrapping and make a stylish statement by being visually over sized. Shown with Green Tea Boxed Soaps and Tea Forte.



Friendship ~ Birthday ~ Just Because

The best cards are the one you don't expect. A handwritten card with words of support and caring can be uplifting when someone is ill, suffering,or bereaved, changing jobs or careers, going through a break up, or the opposite.................reached a personal or professional goal, met the guy, going on a wonderful trip, launching a business. Anything and everything. Shown with Shelley Kyle messenger sachets.


 
Get Well ~ Sympathy ~ Housewarming ~ Friendship




Now go find a pen and send someone a lovely card.
 Shown with lavender Linen Travel Candle.


Something gifted to do with blank cards, go here and here.







All photos by Sande Chase ~ A Gift Wrapped Life

17 comments:

  1. Dearest Sande ~

    The art of letter writing is something I truly hold dear and never wish to see end. It is one of life's most beautiful gifts ~ to give and receive a card / note filled with thoughts just for you (or by you). Often times, I feel the card is the gift!

    BTW, your iphone took great photos!

    Bisous,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how gorgeous and inspirational Sande. Thank you so much for the tips and encouragment. (Your iphone is fab).
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. More than words letters mingle souls.
    I am making good use of all your beautiful cards Sande and thank you...........


    A hand written note is the best...........
    Lovely letters joining hearts♥

    Please continue to pray for Justin and Ahram and all in South Korea and all over the world for
    world

    ♥ P ♥ E ♥ A ♥ C ♥ E ♥


    Love and blessings
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful notecards. Oh the iPhone...lol

    Mr.Goodwill Hunting
    http://mrgoodwillhunting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally love the "One never regrets extravaganza"...I enjoy sending and receiving cards and became a happy card collector.
    Thank you so much for your words of support. At the moment, i'm busy preparing a local exhibition of my paperie but will definitely indulge in some gift wrapping :-)
    Have a great week ahead, Sande
    xo
    Lala

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Sande,

    How joyful to read this blog and your two previous ones about a subject so dear to me... http://bit.ly/baVDnj
    That's exactly what my classes are about!
    Sometimes it seems that people are afraid of writing down a thought on paper... They chat on their cell phones for hours but cannot let the hand put it down. So sad as it certainly is the most uplifting thing to receive. Always at a convenient time, without interrupting a meal or anything and it will be read many times over...
    Thanks for sharing this, even if it might be preaching to the choir.

    Enjoy your pop up shop and wish you success!

    Mariette's Back to Basics

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree. I love finding someone who takes time to shelter others--and the gift of a handwritten note does just that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Among my fondest childhood memories are the days I would find a letter in the mailbox from my Grandparents in Calgary (and immediately reply). Thank you for the reminder to pen a letter to Grandma today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonjour Sande. Your words are so true, it is so much nicer, more personal and elegant to write a message yourself rather than simply signing your name under some printed message of somewhat questionable taste... Those note cards are beautiful, especially the one with the quote "One never regrets Extravagance" - brilliant! Have a lovely week, Love from London xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how happy I am that I found your blog! You always have such thoughtful things to say and the images are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely, lovely post. As the owner of a card company, I agree that blank cards and cards with minimal messages are better than the flowery words that often fill Hallmark variety. It means so much more to have the actual thoughts of the sender included in the card and not someone creating prose for the masses. That's precisely why all of my messages are very short one or two line messages or blank. Love your images!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh me oh my Sande,
    I think these note cards are beautiful. They would get me to take the time to write more often in a card and mail it. My favorite is the ribbon wrapped high heels~ Have a wonderful time with your iphone, I think it loves you as much as you love it. The pictures are outstanding!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Darling Sande,
    I adore this post! I agree with you that the art of letter writingis sadly dying out. I for one love to send out as well as receive beautifully written, carefully thought out card. In this age where people don't even pick up actual books (Kindles, etc) a lovely handwritten note is so special.
    I love these notecards!!Just beautiful.
    xoxo
    Judith~

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the images on those cards. It's true, there IS always time to go shopping!
    xoxo
    Lila Ferraro

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally agree - I usually buy the "blank" cards with a charming or funny photo. I love your pairing of the cards with your beautiful wrappings!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. sande,
    i am so glad you continue to inspire us all to continue what we learned growing up... to always send a note to someone we love.... taking time ... is truly special... in every way... xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always adore receiving a handwritten note! It is so heartwarming and special.

    I have a $200 Giveaway from Fifi Flowers!
    Do come and enter!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are such a lovely addition to my day. Thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails