Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sidetracked..........into sweet and pretty


Someone in the world of social media sent me over to Elle Decor yesterday, I can't remember who but I did have a good time peeking into the personal world of good design before the rest of the world woke up. Look closely at the custom wallpaper using the Andy Warhol graphic, this book jacket effect can be found in the vibrant guest bathroom of Candace Bushell. I am not sure I would want my face plastered all over the bathroom (or anywhere) but in this case it certainly makes sense for the best-selling author. In fact, I think it is downright clever in her case.



She has a pretty sweet living room as well. Bushell scored this gorgeous antique settee from novelist friend Jay McInervey and I love how Bushell and her designer friend Susan Forristal re-upholstered this Louis XVI settee in blue velvet and then layered the room in varying shades of blue. If you head over to this blog link you will see how J. Crew is showing the exact mood of these sweet colours for spring fashion. Go take a quick look, see how interiors influence fashion, or is it the other way around? Maybe a bit of both?



I have to do a major closet purge in January and if my smaller dressing room ended up looking this glamorous I would be a happy and blissful gal. This "salon" dressing room is owned by fashion designer Nanette Lepore and the combination of velvet, antique mirror, and crystal makes it one sweet confection. Lepore stores vintage clothing in one section and her own designs in another. Lately I am thinking that I will introduce some vintage into my wardrobe too. Oh wait........I am pretty sure some of these un-purged outfits might qualify as vintage by now. Perhaps I should consider a small upholstered ottoman for my tiny puppy that will joining our family over the holidays. I will tell you all about her/him soon, my canine companion is ready to enter the world at any moment. He/she is the cutest toy breed ever, but I am keeping that little secret until that puppy is in my hands. Along with closet purging in January, I will also be house-training our new bundle of joy. Hope it is a girl, help me decide what to keep and what to throw. 



The older I get the more I love shoes, too bad my mature age and lack of need force me to be practical at times. I miss the days of wearing 4-6 " heels all day along. Speaking of sore feet, heels, and arches, did you hear about these Kushyfoot-Flats To Go? Small enough to fold up and tuck into your purse and bring you Emergency High Heel relief. Sorry, I got sidetracked to comfort and so back to shoes. Is there anything more entertaining (on a women's level) than to study a personal shoe collection? This colour-blocked collection belongs to Jenna Lyons, the creative director of J. Crew. Figures doesn't it? I love how each pair is arranged to see both heel and toe. How come I never thought of that?




All photos from ElleDecor. com

9 comments:

  1. Sandee, wonderful images!! I love that blue settee, it is all wonderful.

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to have a dressing room/closet like this one!
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Sande,

    Guess that design of garments and interior do go hand in hand.
    Indeed, such a shoe closet/display is beyond the practical of our age... Never did wear heels higher than 4" but I am also blessed for never having had any problems with aching feet. Might be due to my longer big toe and rather narrow feet. I feel blessed.
    Thanks again for such a nice blog!

    Greetings with sunshine from Georgia,

    MariettesBacktoBasics

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sande,
    Now I could find myself very envious of both that dressing room and those shoes........xxv

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the powdery blue velvet settee and the upholstered ottoman-so femme and glamorous.
    Can you imagine saying "And this section of in my closet are blouses and dresses designed by me..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sande,
    It seems now more than ever fashion and decor have merged. I noticed it here in the states a few years ago with Hollywood Regency. Kelly Wearstler interiors merging with Tory Burch fashions. Glitzy sparkling jewelry and headpieces worn with vintage sequin dresses merge into Parisian rooms full of old chandeliers & beautiful antiques.
    Have a good week~
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! Just wow, really, to all of it. I love her living room ... and that closet? I would want to spend hours in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That wallpaper is brilliant, I can't imagine papering more than a tiny area with it though... Funny, I've had that photo of Nanette Lepore's dressing room sitting on my laptop for absolute ages always thinking "need to post this"...it's just so gorgeous, eccentric and lovely... Have a great week, Love from London xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sande I love shoes also and unfortunately I am at the point in life I have to have comfort and that does not always mean stylish or pretty. Oh to have a dressing area!!! Bliss, Kathysue

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are such a lovely addition to my day. Thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails