Thursday, October 29, 2009

Interiors Series-Ice Blue

Nobody was more surprised than me that this photo took my breath away every time I came across it in my photo file. Quite simply put, blue as we see it here was never a personal colour favorite. Not that I am alone, in 2o yrs as an interior designer never did I ever get asked to do a "blue" room. Most associate it with their grandmother's outdated taste. Having said that, why were there so many "blue" rooms in my photo file? I guess things can change or your tastes evolve because I loving this room by designer Christopher May and this bequiling shade of icy blue, it looks fresh and surprisingly youthful. I think those window drapes (or window treatments as we generically say in the biz) are the absolutely perfect blue colour, length and style. In deciding on the expediture in hanging drapes, there can be two thoughts in designing for a window of this height. Drop the drapes to a more "human" scale by hanging at mid-height and leaving the top arch window open, the less expensive version as it uses less fabric. Some people find this human scale more cosy. Or go for the drama and accentuate the room's grand scale (and that soaring fireplace) but doubling up the fabric and the cost. I was always one for the latter approach even if it was wait-and-save. You know me, 99% of the time more is always better.



This one totally caught me by surprise especially since my parents has chairs exactly like this in the 60's and I sure never thought I wanted to see them again. Something about that rustic stone wall, ceiling beams, brick archway has me thinking this colour is a lovely departure from all the other more predictible colours we often see in rooms of this nature. Sort of a Scandanavian element that has been working it's way into my side view lately.



Fabric-covered walls always going to grab my attention, something I personally would love to do. This room by designer Jane Churchill makes me want me to go wash a new pair of bedsheets, hang them outside to dry, give them a iron, make the bed up nice and crisp and and then fake the flu for a day or two. For some reason, I feel positively and luxuriously domestic when I look at this photo. No small response in my case.




If there is a woman alive who doesn't love this exquisite vignette by

designer Suzanne Kasler , I want to meet her.






This is most definately a woman's bathroom. Forget sharing the sink, I am going to guess this woman isn't even sharing a bathroom. Pure feminine. Pure elegance. And pure beauty. What more could you ask from a woman's private retreat? This ice blue retreat by designer Mary mcDonald makes me warm all over.



Top 3 photos via House Beautiful/4th photo via Willow Decor Blog/5th photo via Flickr


20 comments:

  1. I adore ice blue...my living room, dinning room and bedroom are all that shade of blue...I love coming home! Great post today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sande what a treat for the eyes.

    Love Renee xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos are stunning and inspiring! I thought I found my favorite, only to scroll to the next and like it even more! Ice blue is such a fabulous summer color, and yet it works with the snow in the winter.
    Fabulous!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos make me want to get back to those times when we lived in a period style apartment... LOVE big windows and deco so much. Suzanne Kasler design is my absolute favourite. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. If my bathroom looked like that I might never come out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been a 'blue' person, but I think that nowdays there are so many shades of blue that there's bound to be one that we like. I was always told that if you can't afford that expensive fabric, get loads of a cheaper one or wait until you can afford it. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a wonderful post! I love blue and many of my rooms contain blue elements. I'm really loving the pale ice blue lately.

    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a wonderful post! I do love blue - it's quite predominant in my home. That pale ice blue is so beautiful.

    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always been a fan of blue, but there is a stigma attached to it for me because a very close friend once said, "Never decorate your bedroom in blue because this just signals 'ice princess'!" I've never been able to let this go - ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Men love an ice-princess. They enjoy the challenge, so Simply Mel should not be afraid, and should just go for it. It's a beautiful color and is not overdone in any of the photos above. Really stunning, and I've always gravitated to the warmer colors also. I really like these though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sande. I have just discovered your blog and am enjoying it very much - so feminine! I was scanning some older entries and have dressed two of my mannequins in huge flowered necklaces. Thanks for all the inspiration I have an antique store and love the decorating ideas. Eleanor (The Green Barn).

    ReplyDelete
  12. The deep Mediterranean blue and white combo has been an all-time favourite for me, while other blues were hit and miss. But these photos are a hit --- quite exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooo thanks honey, I've saved a couple of these into my house folder. The first one is just gorgeous.

    Love the twin bed room, really stylish.

    thanks,
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. feeling a lot blue at the moment ...
    and it feels pretty wonderful ...

    recently, the blue of the sky on the horizon has been magnificent ~ an indescribable blue, actually that sits perfectly against the honey colour of the prairie fields ~ a lovely combination ... almost like the blue chairs and the honey brick wall ... something very soothing about these two together!

    the colours of tuscany must be fabulous ~ hope you are having the time of your life!
    prairiegirl xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too never really gravitated to ice blue and now I love it. I find myself using it more and more. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My favourite is the first photo, I think it is the drapes - their length and colour are fabulous.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh My! They are all lovely, but the first and fourth photos really took my breath away. Stunning!
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love blue, every shade of it... my walls in my living room are tiffany blue....my sofa is lime green... and I am oh so happy in this room

    ReplyDelete
  19. Blue is one of my favorite colors. Great rooms
    Thank you for sharing
    Firoozeh

    ReplyDelete
  20. If I could have that living room, a kitchen with a great room like the second picture, the bedroom, and the library/bath from the 'Interiors - Libraries' column, I'd have the perfect house! *squints* Maybe not quite perfect -- unless I push those twins together and make a king.

    Ice Blue is one of my favorite colors, ever since I saw it used on the ceiling of a deep Southern veranda. They used the palest blue I've ever seen.

    The sun was pouring in through the Queen Anne arches, but the porch was deep enough to keep the chairs and swing in the shade. The light reflected off the blue ceiling toned down the glare of the sun on the white floorboards, making it seem cool and inviting.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are such a lovely addition to my day. Thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails