Monday, November 19, 2012

Versailles............slow walking this week


I am all over the place these days, I have a bee-in-my-bonnet as they say and trying to pull my thoughts together in too many directions. So let's slow walk this week through my favorite parts of Versailles, the calm parts where you can rest your eyes. When you think of Chateau Versailles as a whole, calm is not the descriptive word that comes to mind, you think extravagance and visual excess, and Versailles is all those things but there are parts where it all comes together in a beautifully serene manner even when all the components tell you that it shouldn't be possible. This is one of my favorite photos that I took the day we visited Versailles (even though I had to crop out the bottom due to unsightly repair barriers), I think it appeals to the designer in me, a reminder, a lesson in the value of symmetry. All that gilt, carving, moulding, subject matter, and yet it remains calming to the eye.............amazing.




photo by Sande Chase

10 comments:

  1. I love your blog.. New here and think I will stay awhile. Love the Bee in your bonnet... Must use that sometime.. YOUR blog is so inspiring .......... I just started blogging so I love blogs like yours... Love this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's the symmetry and the muted colour palette which makes it quite calming - despite the ostentatious addition of gold. It's beautiful. Hope you'll soon find a bit of time to calm down too! Love from London xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photograph. You are so right; with all that is going on in this photograph, it is not overwhelming to view. I could stand a few more showing the halls of Versailles. - Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  4. how beautiful! Happy Thanksgiving, my friend! (I know you celebrate ahead of us, but I think I missed it!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore this photo... crop away + you do a grand job. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all those gilded frames, I am going to use gold and silver for my Christmas decor this year, its so opulent.

    Lee :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were just there in July.. and yes, lots to look at. This is a beautiful photograph :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous. I remember that part of Versailles very well, now that you remind me of course:).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow I'm loving that photo. Must list Versailles to my trip for 2013. :) Glad I've had pointers to note in here. Got my eye on your next posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It appeals to me as a designer, and art history lover as well. The light plays such an important role in how we really "see" things especially here. Lovely snapshot.

    Happy Thanksgving!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are such a lovely addition to my day. Thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails