Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A dress................as a gift wrap embelishment.


There is something about this gift wrap concept I like. Actually there is a few things I like. Novel. Fun. Easy. And it is perfect for wrapping up a fashionista gift for friends who love your gift wrap efforts and presentation. In fact, they expect it from you, don't they?



It was this fashion photo that got me thinking about using a paper dress as a gift wrap embellishment. I loved the volume of this skirt so my only challenge was finding a way to build layers and volume in the skirt, that was the part that I thought would be fun to capture in a gift wrapped manner. Or at least as much as possible when using paper instead of couture fabric. 


Once I found the gift wrap mesh that was hiding away in my supplies, the rest of the dress was easy to build. I simply cut leftover pink damask gift wrap paper to make the bottom skirt lining and the bodice is a wide black flocked ribbon, then took 3 tiered layers of the gold mesh and secured them with a pewter push clip. You begin carefully threading ribbon (the smoother the better) through the mesh holes at the bottom of each mesh layer (not too close to edge as it the mesh will pull apart) and let the ribbon pouf a bit as you move it along. You are moving the ribbon in the top and then under the mesh. In this case there is 3 mesh tiers, each each shorter and 3 layers of ribbons which gives the skirt volume. There is no precise measurement, you can play with any ribbon any way you like, as much or as little as you want. I used a 1/2" chartreuse satin, when I tried a wider version it pulled the mesh holes too far apart. I think I may have a solution to that problem but I will demonstrate on my next "dress embelishment" post. If it works. 


I really like that the paper dress and gift wrapping has dimension and fullness as this top view shows. Simply makes the presentation more visual and fun when presenting to your fashionista friend.
You can go crazy with pattern (using up leftover gift wrap pieces) as I have in capturing the look of my inspiration photo or twist it to a more subdued palette. Depending on the size of your "dress", you can even use patterned scrapbook paper for your patterned skirt liner. It does peek through the mesh overskirt so make it pretty. I will share some other "dress embellishments" over the next few weeks, perhaps a bridal dress for the wedding season ahead?


This pliable mesh is available in most party stores in a variety of colours. I had the gold metallic mesh on hand and it happened to fit the colour direction I was aiming for but any colours would work equally as well or better. Perhaps pick a mesh colour that will enhance the gift paper colours you have on hand. I also use this mesh for wrapping wine bottles in an dramatic but elegant fashion. 


I chose a Paris giftwrap as my background (see inspiration photo above) but when your "dress" has this much texture and pattern, it would look fashionably stylish on any solid paper as well. The bow is a simple 1/4" satin ribbon tied around the gift to fashion a bodice bow. It isn't totally necessary at this point, but I did think it finished off the presentation quite nicely. Try it, you will see it really is...... novel. fun. easy. Back to work, I have a wedding "dress" to design. 




Photos by Sande Chase ~ A Gift Wrapped Life/ Photo 2 via Tumblr

35 comments:

  1. This is beautiful...give me paris any day of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Love the way you've tied Parisian fashion into gift wrap... So elegant and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are always so chic, Sande! another fabulous presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh...a wedding dress! I look forward to seeing it, and you said you weren't "crafty." I beg to differ.

    I have never ever heard of mesh for gift wrap and for wine bottles?? My interest has been piqued:)
    Blogger is making me work to leave this comment; I hope it works this time.

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how beautiful! I love seeing the dress that inspired you and the way you recreated it in such a lovely wrap. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Love the little bows!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have really missed your gift wrapping posts! So happy you have returned to your roots! Can't wait to see more!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sand, your talent amazes me!!! So beautiful.
    Have you. Gotten on the bike yet?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to receive a gift wrapped so beautifully, Sande.
    Teresa
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. So charming - your clever embellishments never cease to amaze me!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very inspiring blog. Enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Sandee, I enjoy reading your blog very, very much. Your wrapping is always so elegant, rich and is so much more than just a gift wrapped present. It is a piece of art to be treasured. Should I ever receive a gift from you, pleas let it be merely an empty box because I shall never open it.
    When will summer arrive in Toronto?
    helentilstonpainter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sande, your creativity and ingenuity never cease to amaze me! Just beautiful! Enjoy the holiday. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful idea, Sande -- truly, I would have a really difficult time opening up this gift, and in fact, know me, I would definitely take a picture of the wrapping work you have created. Beautiful!

    Hope you are having a lovely long weekend.

    warmly,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally gorgeous! I would obviously first take a photos of such a delectable package, if I was to receive it! And I would struggle to destroy such loveliness to get to it's contents, so slowly does it....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh la la, I like it very much!!
    Did you know I didn't unwrap your gift for almost a year? The commenter above is right... your gifts are impossible to open :)
    Miss you my friend, even though I'm not getting around like I used to I want you to know you have a permanent place in my heart :)
    Lots of Love,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! It really does capture the look of the fashion photo. Love mesh and ribbons...you always give me ideas, thank you! Trish

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sande That is a truly gorgeous wrap!! I love it!

    Be sure to spread the word to come & enter my awesome $250 Giveaway from Tracy Porter!!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is just perfect. I am going to embrace the idea of the wedding dress to wrap my present. My assistant is getting married, I am doing all the flowers and will (hopefully) beautifully wraps a nice check for her honeymoon, much prettier than an envelope!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Sande -
    I left a link in my comment box that explains the stat discrepency. Something called referrer spam.
    The weekend is upon us...have a good one.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are the cleverest of the clever Sande, honestly.

    Wishing you a happy weekend my friend! x Deb

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a stunning presentation! Love it..and would be thrilled to get any gift wrapped like that, although I would be hard pressed to want to unwrap it..its so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. love this and I love the colourr combo-so Christian LaCroix

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your works are wonderful. Kisses from Spain (Europe).
    http://sweetcolourscadiz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. You've got the incredible talents as well!Wonderful touch of creativity!Love it all too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is so beautiful. I can't imagine unwrapping that gift.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Absolute inspiration is all I can say! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That wrapping paper is graet! And I love how creative you got with the embellishements. Truly beautiful!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are such a lovely addition to my day. Thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails