Thursday, February 24, 2011

Fashionista Gift Wrapping............from the source


It is amazing what inspiration you find in those piles of fashion and shelter magazines but I am going to guess that you haven't thought of it as a ready source for gift wrapping. When it comes to gift wrapping for that fashionista friend of yours, I think this idea might just make your gift the very favorite of them all only because it can capture their stylish personality. I always loved playing cut-outs when I was a young  girly-girl and while flipping throught the pages of Vogue the connection came to me, this idea only takes that pleasurable pastime into a slightly more mature direction, all in the interest of novel gift presentation of course. In fact, I am having so much fun recycling my magazines that I am going to stay with this gift wrap concept for the next few weeks and see where it takes me.


All you need is time, magazines, small sharp scissors, a glue stick, some ribbon, and you are ready to play, I mean.......create. Before any magazines are recycled, I do a visual edit and tear the pages that may possibly have an image I can cut and use. I know many of you already do this for inspiration boards but I was never that organized, it took gift wrapping to motivate me. It was this Manolo Blahnik ad (and my fond memories of cut-out attire) that got my gift wrapping wheels turning recently. I hope these clever Blahnik people stay with this illustrated ad campaign and give me more show styles to work with soon (though I am sure they would rather I buy the shoes). If you think you might you fancy this technique and may want to use a favorite image again in your gift wrapping, I would suggest scanning for repeat use and printing out on a heavyweight paper. If the cutting and gluing seems like too much work but you think the image totally suits your friend, then use the scan to print the image as a unique gift tag in any size. 


And though you will see many examples over the next few weeks (as you can see I have some background papers ready), I started with this box that I already used for a re-gift box post last year. The two layers of ribbon were already in position and are simply double-sided taped to the underside of the lid. Your prep is that simple. When I have time, I cut the images (which can be surprisingly calming-who knew?) so I have a stylish variety ready to layer and experiment with at any time. 


Though you might be tempted to go ribbon-less, I think the ribbon base just makes it more finished and gives a gift wrapped base to this idea. I added the black and white grosgrain for more visual impact. I will show you some examples with bows but this image was larger and a bow seemed to interfere with this fabulously fashionable image. 


You can be as precise with the glue stick as you want and glue down every inch, or even use double sided tape (which is tacky enough to lift and re-position) in stategic spots if you think the recipient may want to lift off the image cut-outs and play on her own, I mean...............create. I have a couple other application ideas for you as well, another idea to give this concept more dimension. Stay tuned over the next few weeks, I think this might be fun, kind of taking cut-outs to a more mature level........or so I tell myself. 






All photos by Sande Chase ~ A Gift Wrapped Life

31 comments:

  1. What a great idea! That Manolo shoe is to die for! LIke yourself, I also loved to do cut-outs when I was a kid & yes it can be very relaxing. IT's a great idea -- thanks for sharing..... it's a superb re-cycling idea and stunning too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent idea.....tell me a girl who wouldnt want to open a box like that..way prettier than wrapping paper! Really clever...and something to keep in my mind for a few upcoming birthdays of my fashionable friends:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sande,
    You are the inspiration Queen !! There are so many beautiful images in all magazines, be they fashion , interior or otherwise and there is always one that would be apt for everyone that I know. I have often used images that I have found and used them on my gifts especially at Christmas and this is another way of doing it which I hadn't thought about. I can't wait to see what you do next. Sorry that I've been a bit sporsdic in my comments......I have been celebrating my birthday for three weeks now !! I think it's time to stop !! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Gift wrapping wheels'...I think it is your gift wrapping heels that are a-turning Sande.....LOVE this parcel...please send my way...all 5 kilos of it!! xv

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh Sande, how much fun!!!
    Leave it to you to make cut-outs sophisticated AND fun.
    I love the layers behind the shoe and parfume. Would you ever make the bow as if it was the lace of the shoe or is that to predictable?
    Can hardly wait to show Taylor, she LOVES this stuff. All I have to say is "check out The latest from Sande" and she knows where to go to have fun and find more inspiration! Mom too!
    Will be watching for more to come.
    xoxo Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too much fun !! i've got a whole pile of Elle waiting to be fashionably dissected ! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. No matter what you show us, the results are always fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How FABULOUS!! I would most definitely be thrilled to receive such a gift. Your creative gift wrapping inspiration truly knows no bounds!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a marvelous idea Sande. You are an amazing source of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sande, if someone gave me a box wrapped like this I would have the entire thing framed so I could enjoy it forever. So brilliant & so much fun. xx's

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh yes, Matisse would be proud of your excellent cut-outs! Beautiful work to inspire us, Sande!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this idea...perfect for my nieces!

    ReplyDelete
  13. O.K., my daughter's birthday is this weekend. I am already thinking how I can apply your wonderfully creative idea to gift wrapping for her. Problem is.... I better get started...the clock is ticking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so clever! Thoughts abound as to what kind of images could be used...a beautiful bowl for a kichen gift, a flower for a plant gift.

    Thoroughly striking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is such a wonderful idea! I will try this sometime for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've taken magazine cut-outs to an all new, sophisticated level, Sande.
    I love your use of colour here-turquoise and orange with touches of black and white-so striking.
    I also recycle magazine images. Sometimes if I have a coordinating magazine image with an item I am shipping, I paste it to the outside of the shipping box or envelope as a little teaser.

    Have a happy weekend,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  17. amazing idea - you are an inspiration, time to start cutting out and playing...

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea dear Sande, I love it! It's amazing what you've created and finally I can do something useful with the old magazines I have...Thanks a lot!

    Have a great weekend, much love: Evi

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so beautiful!


    xoxo,

    colormenana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sande...we lost touch but I am here...glad you are too! I promise to catch up on your blog! Hope all is well...xo, Susan.

    www.fleurishingblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sande,

    I've been doing this also. Additionally, I scan the item (ex. shoe) make it in a smaller size, print on card stock or glossy photo paper and create a matching card. You should hear the comments and the "Oh my Gosh" expressions from gift receiver. Lots of fun!

    Bette

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sande that is so chic and over the top fun!!! What a great presentation!! Nice to see you over at my blog today, thank you for the nice visit,KS

    ReplyDelete
  23. HI Sande, thanks for your lovely message sorry I haven't been around lately.. Oh My god this is a brilliant idea and of course you have pulled it off with such style.. Carla xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fabulous idea! It is a gift within itself! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sande, you are genius!! How exciting and chic. very fun!

    I have an Artful Offering and great Interview at my site.

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Sande
    That is one flipping fantastic looking gift! So chic and fun! As you know, I also use magazine pages and images in my wrapping, but always of flowers- I never thought to incorporate fashion photos- genius! I guess I've never really grown up as I never stopped playing "cut-outs" - inspiration boards, scrapbooks, collages...now, thanks to you, I have one more fun way to indulge the little girl in me!
    PS. The turquoise and orange-my latest combination obsession too- you got me from every angle on this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was thinking about this recently but love your very stylish take on it!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are such a lovely addition to my day. Thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails