Tuesday, October 23, 2012

petite Paris stash


I rarely make the same shopping mistake twice. See it, like it, buy it, do not allow time to think about it and come back, it never happens. Especially at the bouguinistes (bookseller stalls) along the quais of the Seine. These petite books aren't that old actually (1973) and quite petite (4" x 3") but this 4-volume set titled Poemes Amoureux Et Galants are now stacked on my desk and their vivid pink colour catches my eye quite frequently throughout the day. When I am old and gray I shall consider spending time translating these poems of love but for now they provide me with visual pleasure. 


Of course, if I could part with even one volume they would be lovely, lovely as a petite cadeau tied with a beautiful satin ribbon............but I just can't seem to do so. I had such good intentions. Mind you, I could buy more, it appears these petite pink tomes are all over the place (Ebay, Amazon) not just along the Left Bank. And there is my little chuckle for the day.




Follow me on Instagram @agiftwrappedlife





Instagram Photos by Sande Chase

16 comments:

  1. Haha, no, I wouldn't be able to give them away either - I completely understand ;-) Enjoy them and slowly read them - even if you have to translate every other word, I'm sure it'll be worth it... Have a lovely evening xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love leather bound books - these are so pretty! I would smile every time I looked at them - I hope you do. (Plus it's MUCH more fun bringing them home as a souvenir than buying them on ebay). Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sande, They may be all over the place as you say, for purchasing. But here's the thing, every time you look at them, you will smile. Every time you pick one up and open it, you'll remember right where you were when you bought them. Can't buy that on Amazon or Ebay! Not everyone thinks we should lug memoralbilia home, but I am transported whenever I look at them. Visual pleasure--can't beat it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. But your books come with the vivid memory of strolling along the Seine and enjoying Paris in all her charms. That is truly priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful, Sande. The color is gorgeous, and in leather, perfect.
    Happy Tuesday.
    Teresa
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh now you're reminding me I never did get to visit the little bookstalls on the Seine - and I had every intention - so many beautiful old books, vintage prints - oh well, will just have to go back to Paris!
    Love the little pink books - what a beautiful keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are really pretty! It must be nice to see that little pop of color! It sometimes is hard to part with some of the things we buy "as gifts" I am always so proud of myself when I actually let it go - I guess because it is so hard :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will have to go look for these, maybe before France in December; I see them surrounded with loads of paperwhites~

    ReplyDelete
  9. These pink lovelies hold wonderful memories + e-bay or amazon can't give you those memories. Enjoy them. xxpeggybraswelldesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sande,

    I can't think of a better looking book for you than a vibrant magenta French book with gold detailing picked up along the Seine River!

    Beautiful!
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  11. they are gorgeous luxe and chic - so very you! It is settled. I will have to see Paris with you one day so you can share some of your shopping secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these little books...the perfect accessories! the color is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

    Love, Jamie Herzlinger

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nowadays, one can almost obtain anything on line, but nothing will crate more pleasure and memories than finding these little treasures yourself, as we say in French "dans son jus" meaning in its own juice...that is in its natural context, with all the memories of the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so agree with my friend Francine!
    I make sure to have my favorites
    here and there but often they are
    reminders of long, long ago.
    Don't you think I need some newer reminders?
    I do!
    Thanks for reminding me.
    xo Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are such a lovely addition to my day. Thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails